Taking part in Veganuary? This delicious vegan dhal is so easy to pop in a slow cooker and serve over rice!
Here's what you'll need...
- 1 tbsp coconut or vegetable oil
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, sliced or minced
- 1 tsp each of ground cumin, turmeric & garam masala
- 1 tsp salt
- 400g split red lentils, well rinsed
- 4 tomatoes, diced
- 900ml hot vegetable stock
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to season
- Basmati rice
- Sliced red chilli
- Handful toasted cashew nuts
- Coconut cream
- Coriander leaves
- Heat the coconut oil in a small saucepan until it melts (or directly in your slow cooker if it has a sauté function).
- Add the mustard and fennel seeds and cook over high heat, stirring, until the seeds start to pop.
- Add the grated ginger and stir to combine.
- Lower the heat and add the onion, garlic, spices and salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is softened and translucent, about 7 minutes.
- Add the cooked onions, tomatoes and red lentils in the bowl your slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Add the stock, stir again, cover and cook until most of the stock has been absorbed and lentils are soft - 8 hours on low /6 hours on high.
- Stir and season with salt and freshly ground pepper, to your taste.
- Serve with a little coconut cream drizzled over the top and garnish with the toasted cashews, sliced chilli and fresh coriander.
For more recipes visit AO website.