Makes 1 loaf
97.5g black treacle
65g golden syrup
138g vegan sunflower spread
162g plain flour
12g ground ginger
2g ground cinnamon
101g dark brown sugar
1g table salt
6g bicarbonate of soda
12g chia seeds
78g soya milk
30g candied orange peel
83g vegan sunflower spread
166g icing sugar
83g mandarin puree
67g caster sugar
4g pectin juane
Mandarin segments, garnish
- For the orange spiced parkin, set the oven to 160’C. In a pan, weigh out the black treacle, golden syrup, flora spread and dark brown sugar.
- To make the vegan “egg” mixture, in a separate bowl mix with the chia and water. Leave to set aside until it goes gloopy.
- In another bowl, weigh the oats and soya milk and leave together to soak, forming an oatmeal consistency.
- Weigh out all remaining dry ingredients (flour, bicarb of soda, salt, cinnamon and ginger) into a bowl.
- Heat up the sugar, treacle, vegan spread and golden syrup in the pan until dissolved. Pour this into the dry ingredients and whisk until incorporated. Add oatmeal mix to this, combining well. Then pour into the tin.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes, until the knife comes out clean. Leave to cool on a cooling rack.
- To make the buttercream, whisk the vegan spread and icing sugar together.
- For the mandarin syrup, place the mandarin puree and water in a pan and bring to a boil. In a separate bowl, mix the caster sugar and pectin juane together and then add this to the pan on the stove. Keep stirring to ensure no lumps form.
- Once combined, take off heat and leave to cool.
- Pipe the buttercream on top of the loaf cake once cool and drizzle over the mandarin syrup. Cut the mandarin into segments and garnish.
For more recipes visit BaxterStorey website.