This dish is comfort food at its best. It’s hearty, warming and super satisfying and made a little more special with the addition of the chestnuts and caramelised onions. Great to make ahead and serve alongside a Christmas feast, or as an accompaniment to a good vegan winter stew.
Cooking time: 2 hours / Serves: 6-8
50g vegan butter
1 tbsp olive oil
2 large white onions, finely sliced
2 x 180g pouches of Merchant Gourmet Whole Chestnuts
5 thyme sprigs
300ml vegan vegetable stock
1 kg desiree potatoes
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the vegan butter in a large frying pan with the olive oil and add the onions. Cook on a low heat for 40 minutes, until soft and caramelised, being careful not to burn them.
- Add the chestnuts, thyme, vegetable stock, a big pinch of salt and pepper and bring to a gentle simmer. Continue simmering on a very low heat while you prep the potatoes.
- Thinly slice the potatoes using a mandoline (you can leave the skin on if you prefer, or peel) and grease a 20 x 30cm baking dish with some vegan butter. Put a layer of potatoes in the bottom, overlapping them slightly, then scoop out some of the onions and chestnuts with a slotted spoon and spread evenly on top. Repeat this process until everything has been used up, finishing with a layer of potatoes and leaving a few slices of onion and chestnuts to go on top.
- Pour the remaining stock into the dish, along with any leftover onions, then spread everything out evenly on the top. Cut the vegan butter into little cubes and dot around the dish.
- Cook uncovered for an hour, or until the top is crisp and a knife easily goes through the potatoes. Cover with tin foil if it starts to burn.
- Rest for 10 minutes before serving, finishing with some fresh thyme leaves if needed.
For more info visit https://www.merchant-gourmet.com