Serves: 6/ Prep time: 30 - 45 minutes/ Cook time: 30 - 45 minutes/ Difficulty: Medium/ Suitability: Vegan
Ackee is a staple for vegans in Jamaica, it is earning a reputation as one of the most versatile cooking ingredients owing to its unique properties. High in healthy fats and Vitamin C, it is also a source of protein and carbohydrate: a true gift of nature. In this recipe, the incredible Dee's Table harnesses ackee to create a vegan ackee, courgette and samphire quiche that gives the best non vegan-based quiche a run for its money.
10 cherry tomatoes
1 tablespoon vegan butter, melted
½ teaspoon Tropical Sun Seasoning Salt
¼ teaspoon black salt (optional but gives an “eggy” taste)
1 shortcrust vegan pastry (shop bought)
1 shallot/ small onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 tin (280g) Tropical Sun Ackee, drained and rinsed
349g silken tofu, diced
2 tablespoons gram flour (or substitute 1 tablespoon of plain flour)
2 teaspoons Tropical Sun Garlic Powder
1 teaspoon Tropical Sun Smoked Paprika
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 courgette, peeled into ribbons
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees. Slice cherry tomatoes in half and place on a lined baking tray. Drizzle 1 Tablespoon of melted vegan butter to tomatoes and then mix to combine, season with salt and pepper. Bake for 15 minutes then set aside.
- Take vegan shortcrust pastry and roll out to fit tart tin on a lightly floured surface. Using the rolling pin, lift the pastry into the tart tin and guide the pastry in the corners to fit. Prick the pastry with a fork, and leave the access pastry around the crust to trim once blind baked. Put some parchment paper on the pastry and add baking beans. Blind bake for 15-20 minutes then trim the access pastry. Set aside.
- Chop up onion/shallot and the clove of garlic. In a shallow frying pan heat a few tablespoons of olive oil. Fry the onion & garlic on a medium heat with a pinch of salt till they have softened. Add the samphire and fry for another few minutes. Place in a bowl and set aside.
- Add Ackee, Tofu, Gram Flour, Garlic powder, Smoked Paprika, Nutritional Yeast, Roasted Tomatoes Salt & Black salt (optional) to a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Add the shallot/ onion filling to the base, spreading evenly. Add the blended quiche mixture on top using a spatula to even it out.
- Using a vegetable peeler make courgette ribbons. Starting from the centre of the quiche, create a courgette rose by rolling one ribbon into itself, making a rose shape, using the other ribbons to create a rose till the quiche is filled up.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes then allow to rest for at least 30 minutes before eating. Enjoy!