Serves: 2 / Ready in: 20 minutes / Difficulty: Easy / Suitability: Vegan
Ackee is a staple for vegans in Jamaica, it is earning a reputation as one of the most versatile cooking ingredients owing to its unique properties. High in healthy fats and Vitamin C, it is also a source of protein and carbohydrate: a true gift of nature.
For the dip:
1/2 cup vegan yogurt
1/3 tbsp Tropical Sun Mild Jerk Seasoning
For the fritters:
1/2 (55g) cup plain flour
1/2 (55g) cup gram flour
1/2 tsp Tropical Sun Dried Thyme
2 cloves garlic, puréed
3/4 cup (160ml) soya milk
1 tin (280g) Tropical Sun Ackee, drained and gently rinsed in cold water
Oil, for shallow frying
- In a small bowl, mix together the yogurt and jerk seasoning and leave to chill in the fridge.
- In a large bowl, mix together the plain flour, gram flour, baking powder, coriander, chilli flakes, thyme and garlic, followed by the soya milk. Whisk to form a smooth batter.
- Drain the ackee in a sieve and rinse under gentle cold water for a few seconds. Whisk the ackee into the mixture, preserving some of the ackee pieces for texture.
- Add oil to a large frying pan on medium-high heat, Once the oil is hot, spoon a heaped tablespoons of batter into the pan and flatten each slightly with your spatula. Do not overcrowd the pan.
- Cook each fritter for 3-4 minutes, flip over and cook for a further 2-3 minutes until deliciously browned on the outside and cooked through.
- Serve with the jerk yogurt dip - and enjoy!
Recipe shared belongs to Tropical Sun, to find out more information or recipes ideas, visit https://tropicalsunfoods.com.